ERS news articles
National Nutrition Month
March is National Nutrition Month! Some foods are better than others for maintaining a healthy diet, and the same goes for your teeth.
Here are the best foods to work into your diet for a healthy smile:
- Dairy foods like cheese and yogurt have been shown to lower the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Leafy greens, especially spinach and kale, contain many vitamins and minerals. They are also rich in calcium, which promotes strong enamel.
- The texture of apples helps to scrub away food particles and stimulate the gums. These make for a great, tasty snack that isn't too high in sugar.
- Similar to apples, carrots help to clear away leftover food particles. They are also high in fiber and vitamin A.
- Almonds are rich in calcium and protein and are another good low-sugar snack.
- Green tea has been shown to help prevent tooth decay and promote healthier gums. This is also a great caffeine alternative to coffee!